The UK Marriage Visa or a Spouse Partner Visa as it is commonly referred to would enable your Thai wife or Thai civil partner to enter and remain in the United Kingdom based on your marriage. This visa is available to a UK citizen or a national in the European Economic Area (EEA) who is present and/or settled in the United Kingdom.
The initial visa for your Thai wife or Thai partner is issued for a period of two and a half years. For a spouse or a partners of a UK citizen, the spouse or partner can apply for permanent residency or also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain after the initial two years in the UK. For a spouse or partner of a national of a EEA country, the provisional period for applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain is five years.
U.K. Marriage Visa Benefits
There are many benefits when having obtaining obtained a UK Spouse visa or what some refer to as a UK Marriage Visa. Your Thai wife or partner when granted the UK Marriage Visa is allowed to look for employment without the need to a UK Work Permit.
Unlike Thailand the UK Marriage Visa for your Thai wife is not limited as to the type of work that she may perform. The UK Marriage Visa holder is unrestricted.
U.K. Marriage Visa Eligibility Criteria
To qualify for the UK Marriage Visa you must prove that:
- you are currently legally married to the applicant recognizable in the UK;
- both parties intend to live together permanently as a couple;
- both you and your Thai wife have met already;
- the British citizen must meet the financial requirement set out by the UK Visas and Immigration office.
- you already have suitable accommodation, be it owned or rented;
- neither you nor your partner is under 18 years of age.
There are limitations for polygamy or polygamist marriages using the UK Marriage visa system. Should you have more than one wife, only one wife can apply for the UK Marriage Visa.
Supporting Documents & Procedures
There are a number of document needed for your UK Marriage Visa. The UK Marriage Visa documents and procedures are listed here: